Statutes of Limitations for Accidents and Injuries in NYC
What Are Statutes of Limitations?
A statute of limitations is the period of time that a person can file a lawsuit for a specific issue. The reason that we have these statutes of limitations is to encourage that legal claims are resolved within a reasonable amount of time.
In New York the statute of limitations for various types of accidents and injuries are listed here:
- Personal Injury cases – 3 years from the date of the accident.
- Emotional Distress (negligent) issues - 3 years from date of accident.
- Medical Malpractice cases – 2 years and 6 months from the date that the malpractice occurred or from the end of continuous treatment that was performed.
- Wrongful Death cases – 2 years from the death of the person.
- Product Liability issues – 3 years from the date of the accident.
- Slip, Trip and Fall cases – 3 years from the date of the accident.
- Property Damage cases – 3 years from the date that the accident occurred.
If you have been injured in an accident, are the victim of medical malpractice or nursing home abuse, you need talented, experienced legal representation. You need to seek the help of a skilled NY Accident & Injury attorney.