When do you need an attorney?
One of the first things to ask yourself in deciding if you should consult a lawyer is: “What’s at stake?”
Sometimes obtaining legal help is a matter of necessity, such as getting sued or getting charged with a crime. Legal help should also be considered when the following actions have taken place:
• You’ve been seriously injured in an accident or injured by a health care provider’s carelessness.
• When you’re faced with complicated personal or business decisions that have very important financial implications.
• Adopting a child.
• Buying or selling any piece of real estate.
• When you’re having a problem with your landlord or tenant.
• When you’re starting a business and you want to protect it from potential legal problems.
• Signing important contracts.
• If you want to sue someone.
• Writing a will, estate planning, providing for your family.
• Getting a divorce, battling for custody of your children.
• If you need a pre-nuptial agreement.
• When you have Immigration issues.
• When tax problems arise.
• If you’re thinking about filing for bankruptcy.
These, along with many other situations, are times when lawyers are most important to the welfare of yourself and your loved ones. Keep in mind that people hire attorneys for advice and expertise all of the time, in all kinds of situations.